How Arm Guards Protect Against Human Bites
When you work in the mental health care field or in corrections you put yourself at risk every day. Here’s how, and why, arm guards are important for the job.
For a corrections officer or health care professional, the risk of injury is just another part of the job.
Some of the most common injuries for these fields are the risk of bites or scratches. If you’re a professional working in corrections, mental health care facilities, special needs hospital, or a school, dealing with the possibility of human bites can be an unfortunate reality.
Bite injuries make up 1% of all emergency medical admissions in the United States. While it may not seem like a high number, almost 40 million people visit emergency departments for injuries each year.
Thanks to a new piece of safety gear, you can be protected from the risk of human bites in the workplace.
Bite resistant arm guards have proven to be effective in keeping the skin safe from human teeth. This can save you a hospital visit, risk of infection, and the mental injury resulting from such an event.
It’s vital that you take preventative measures to minimize the risk of human bites in your workplace. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why you should invest in an arm guard to keep you safe on the job.
Why Arm Guards?
The risk of suffering from a human bite is not one to take lightly–a bite injury can be devastating both for your career and your personal health.
Approximately 10-15% of all human bite wounds become infected. Human bites can also transmit diseases like hepatitis B, syphilis, and tetanus. In the worst case scenario, these bites can lead to death.
In addition to the physical trauma, professionals who are injured with a bite wound also may suffer from the mental injury from the experience itself. Once an individual is injured, they will need to be treated in the hospital and may be off work for a long time.
Working in these high-risk jobs isn’t easy–but you can minimize the danger of bite wounds and keep yourself safe through arm guards.
Typically made from a tough, durable material, arm guards are designed to reduce the risk of human teeth penetrating the skin. They cover the elbow all the way up to the center of the palm and they can be worn over or under your clothing.
Protection from bites isn’t all that you’re getting. Some additional benefits of arm guards include:
- Protection from day to day bumps and scratches
- Improved circulation to the forearms
- Regulated body temperature
- Sun protection
Even if you’ve never been bitten before, an arm guard can provide the security of knowing that you can perform your job to the best of your ability–without the risk of human bites.
What to Look for in an Arm Guard
Once you decide to invest in an arm guard for your professional safety, it’s important that you make the right choice.
What should you look for in an arm guard? What kind of factors go into making an effective piece of safety equipment?
Your safety in the workplace is important–look through this checklist before making the commitment to buying your new bite resistant arm guard.
- Strength. Before you commit to an arm guard, take a look at the material to make sure that it’s up to the highest standard. Make sure it’s certified to have high resistance in these four categories: blade cut resistance level, puncture resistance level, tear resistance level, and abrasion resistance level. There’s always a risk of being punched, kicked, and hit in addition to the risk of biting, so your arm guard has to be prepared to handle anything.
- Durability. Your arm guard doesn’t just have to be strong, it has to last too. Be sure that your arm guard is up to the wear and tear of your day to day job. Especially if you work hands-on or outdoors, you’ll need a material that will last a long time.
- Effectiveness. Strength and durability can only go so far if your arm guard isn’t easy to wear. Look for an arm guard that you can wear either under or over your shirt, as well as one that is simple to take on and off.
- Comfort. Especially for full-time workers, you’ll be wearing arm guards from morning to night. It’s important that they’re easy to wear. Check to see if your arm guard is made of a breathable material and feels comfortable to the touch.
- Cost. While it’s important to make a good investment on a quality piece of equipment, you can find a high-quality arm guard without breaking the bank. Some arm guards can get up to nearly $200, but you can find an affordable, effective alternative for less than $50.
- Additional assets. Some arm guards come with extra assets to improve your experience. Look out for a few key elements, like a material that is easy to clean of blood and saliva or an arm guard with extra padding to minimize the chance of bruises.
Buying an arm guard for your professional needs is an investment but with an arm guard, you can save yourself the hassle of hospital trips, medical costs, time off work, and the long-term consequences of a human bite injury.
Take the time to look closely at your arm guard selections. Make sure your choice is up to the highest industry standards in terms of toughness, durability, effectiveness, comfort, and cost.
If you’re working in the corrections industry or as a healthcare professional, your job can be dangerous. Why not take the chance to minimize risks and make sure you can be safe and healthy on the job?
Make an investment to protect yourself from physical injury, infection, and psychological distress. Don’t let a human bite wound hold you back from your personal and professional life.
Bite resistant arm guards have already been introduced in prisons, correctional facilities, and hospitals around the world, and they’ve been shown to reduce the risk of biting related injuries significantly.